Skip to content

December 8, 2009

You’ve Been Called to the Dean’s Office

by vths

We are introducing a new weekly video from Rabbi Avrohom Stulberger – You’ve Been Called to the Dean’s Office. It’s a short (three minute) message on a timely Torah topic. This week’s message is regarding the meaning of Chanukah. Watch below.

Read more from Dean's Office
10 Comments Post a comment
  1. David Rackliff
    Dec 8 2009

Very Nice Rabbi Way to go! Good message

2. Simmy Guttman
    Dec 8 2009

Great. Is it possible to make these available 4 download so that we can use them in the classroom? (no internet service there)

3. Dec 8 2009

Yes. You could download it from YouTube when you do have a connection. If that is impossible, contact me: striks@vths.org

4. Nati Samet
    Dec 8 2009

Beautiful.

5. Yafit (Asiss) Oster
    Dec 8 2009

Very nice, looking forwards to seeing Rabbi on a regular basis!

6. Leah "Goldberg"
    Dec 9 2009

YES, the relevance of Chanukkah is moreso now than ever. Chanukkah’s relevance “Contrary to popular belief”, would probably be contrary to popular DIASPORA belief. I think the sense that Chanukkah’s magnitude is downplayed in the U.S. (and perhaps throughout chutz la’aretz) by the FRUM community is because of its seeming competitiveness with THE BIG holiday of the rest of the country. It has been seen as unnaturally inflated (by the not -yet- religious) in importance because of this unfortunate competitiveness.

This reactionary up AND downplaying of Chanukkah in chutz la’aretz is not seen here in Eretz Yisroel. Chanukkah is not in competition with ANYthing. However, whether one feels the “competetiveness” or not (or perhaps even moreso if one does), the enormity of Chanukkah’s message, as our Rabbi S points out, is in not just the fighting to identify ourselves as unique in our simply BEING Jewish, but in our ACTING JEWISH (making a Kiddush Hashem, acting with Derech Eretz and with Achdus, etc, etc)

We must pass on this anti-Helenistic message of Chanukkah to be not just an “ohr l’goyim”, a light to the nations, but especially an “ohr l’Yehudim” — a light unto ourselves — we have to BE lights of Torah in a world increasingly dark.

7. Leah "Goldberg"
    Dec 9 2009

…oh, and thanks for calling me “into the Dean’s Office”. My knees were shaking a bit at first, but it sure was nice to see the good Rabbi again.

8. rimona hecht
    Dec 9 2009

THanks for sharing this wonderful thought Rabbi. It’s so true to today. Sometimes when I read about the battles being fought in Israel and Afghanistan, I see the relvance of hannukah to our time. I see the battle for survival in my mind when I hear the news of those things. With the increadingly dark economic times I feel like I’m fighting to finnish my college degree so I can survive and be a part of the real world life and I’ll be continuing to fight for my very own life when I leave college. I think that the miracle of Hannukah really applies to all of us as individuals in an individual way as well as a jewish nation, and spreading it to other nations like we are supposed to do is a must do in these times. THanks for sharing such a meaningful and applicble thought to my life and the lives of Jews everywhere no matter where we happen to be on this earth.

9. Asher Peretz
    Dec 11 2009

This was definitely one of my better visits to the Deans office…there was no pause button back in my day!

All jokes aside, Yashar Koyach. It is so impressive and heartwarming to see the efforts that Valley Torah puts in to keep the Kesher with it alumni. We are regarded as family–never forgotten about and always cared for by this very special Mosad.

I did enjoy it and look forward to the next one.

10. Barry Linson
    Dec 12 2009

I enjoyed this short divar Torah message.